Plants, Seeds & Cuttings
How should I germinate seeds?
- Fill a container with good draining soil. We recommend 50% regular potting soil with 50% coarse sand, fine pumice or grit (1-3 mm). Remove the big chunks from the potting soil if needed. Lithops and other Mesembs germinate very well on 100% pumice. We sell seed germination kits and soil at our website.
- Divide the seeds on the soil.
- Add a thin top layer of grit or coarse sand. If the seeds are extremely small (like Echeveria, Crassula, Lithops and Titanopsis) then do not apply a top layer.
- Let the container soak up water (from beneath) for 5 minutes.
- Let excess water drip away.
- Put the container with seeds in a zip lock bag or other transparent bag or box. Make sure humidity is high.
- Most seeds germinate under light conditions at circa 24 °C. Lithops seeds germinate at 18-20 °C, Adenium and Pachypodium species germinate at 28-30 °C
- Increase ventilation when most seedlings have appeared. This can take 1-4 weeks with most species. Palm seeds and other thick or very hard seeds should be soaked in water for 24 hours before sowing. Germination of some species with thick or hard seeds may take very long. Never throw a seed batch away. It is not unusual that seeds germinate even after 1-2 years after a cold period.
- Never let your seedlings dry out. Keep watering the container from beneath to prevent damage from splashing water.
Dionaea and Drosera germination
These species germinate best on a mix of very moist peat and/or sphagnum with coarse sand. Do not cover these seeds. If they do not germinate within 3 weeks then place the entire seed tray in the refrigerator for 2 month to simulate winter time. Many of these species need a winter before they can sprout.
How should I root cuttings?
Unrooted leaf cuttings and stem cuttings should be left to dry for 3 days before potting them in dry soil mix. Do not water cuttings until roots have formed. Leaf cuttings also root well when you lay them flat on some regular potting soil. Rooting usually takes 2-4 weeks and depends on the species.
How should I pot my plants?
Most succulents grow fine in general potting soil with 25-50% pumice, grit or coarse sand added. Lithops, Conophytum and most other Mesembs prefer a more mineral soil mix. If you do not want to mix your own soils you can use our Professional Cactus & Succulent Soil and our Professional Lithops and Mesembs Soil which we sell at Sunnyplants.com.
Orders, Payment & Shipping
How can I pay for my order?
We have multiple payment options which you can choose during checkout. Bank transfer, iDEAL, PayPal and Credit Card (through PayPal) are used by most of our customers. Our website and payment methods are SSL secured so you can always pay safely. We will ship your order after we received your payment.
How are my seeds packed and shipped?
Seeds are packed in zip-lock bags. Small seeds are packed in a small paper bag which is then folded and packed in a zip-lock bag. Seed orders are shipped in a padded envelope. Sensitive seeds are shipped in a small box. Seed orders are shipped with regular mail without tracking.
How are my cuttings packed and shipped?
We sell unrooted cuttings. The cuttings are wrapped in tissue and come with a plant label. The cuttings are shipped in a small box with regular mail without tracking. Larger orders of cuttings are shipped with GLS and with a tracking number.
How are my plants packed and shipped?
Your plants are shipped without soil and container to prevent any damage during transport. Each plant is wrapped in paper and comes with a label. Most plant orders are shipped with GLS and have a tracking number.
How much does shipping to my country cost?
Shipping costs vary per country and for the item(s) that you want to order. Please use the shipping calculator on the checkout page to check how much shipping we charge for your order.
How long will it take before I receive my order?
We’re located in The Netherlands. Shipping to EU countries takes somewhere between 4 and 9 working days. Shipping to other countries can take 2 to 3 weeks and sometimes even 4 weeks. Your parcel may be delayed by Customs as well as by your local postal service. That’s why, even though we’d like to, we cannot make any claims about an exact time-frame in which your order will arrive. We can not influence international postal services.
If I am not at home, what will happen to my package?
If you’re not at home, the postman will leave a note at your house, so you can pick it up at your local post office. Sometimes the postman forgets about this note so if the package is late, you can always check yourself at the post office. You can contact us any time for the track & trace code if necessary. Please also ask your neighbours because sometimes the postman delivers a package there. Normally the package remains with the post office for 1 to 2 weeks before they send it back to us. Please make sure you pick it up on time.
In what language can I write you my emails?
We can answer your emails in English, German, French and Dutch.
Do you have a shop?
No, we do not have a shop. We can keep prices low because we do all transactions through our online shop.
I forgot my password.
If you forgot your password we can email you a new password. You can request this new password by clicking at the login page on: Lost your password?
Why is my email not answered?
If for some reason you do not receive emails from us please check your spambox to see if our email ends up there. We try to answer all your emails within 24 hours after receiving. Please note that any emails sent on Friday will be answered on Monday.